May 11, 2010

The Lost Black Swan Piece

PREFACE: So at Kasteel Well there is a Lit Mag called "The Black Swan" named after the birds we share our grounds in (RIP to our Black Swan, but they've got a new one). I was an editor for the collection, and I had a piece that was supposed to be in the collection but somehow between editing to layout to publication it got lost.

Keep in mind this is probably only funny to Castle people. Actually, its probably only funny to me. But I'll be damned if I don't let someone see this, I have that much of an ego sometimes. So here it is....
----------------

Excerpts of Poetry Written By Allen Ginsberg during his time in Well

I saw the best minds of my generation
Destroyed by madness starving hysterical, naked
Dragging themselves to class after a week of independent travel
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
Who went to Prague to spend another foreign currency
Who flew to London to the opposite way for oncoming traffic
Who landed in Italian city-states for warmth and cuisine
Who trained to Vienna for coffee and indie cred
Who traveled to Barcelona for Spanish exoticness
Who flew back to Amsterdam to make their way home
Who got stuck in Nijmegen when a train broke down
I’m with you in Nijmegen…
….

American Night I have given you all and now I’m nothing
American Night, 10 Euros on a Wednesday I should have been studying
I can’t stand Thursday classes
American night, when will you end the Lady Gaga?
I don’t feel good, and I won’t dance on your tables
American Night when will you give me more than an empty pocket and Facebook tags?
American Night, they are closing the Linden soon
It is you and I who are perfect, not Café Vink
American Night, I’m putting my queer shoulder to the wheel


What thoughts I have of you tonight Walt Whitman
Have we both been screwed by RyanAir and stuck here for the weekend?
Having eaten at the Cafeteria twice already, and Chinese isn’t very good
I follow you in through the doors of Spar.
The townspeople are in the meats
The students in the fruit drinks
Do you read the labels like I do? Pretending you know Dutch?
Spar closes in an hour Walt Whitman
We must walk past the fields again
Past dog walkers and statues of a murdered Christ
Another lost weekend in Well
….


Footnote:
Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!
Holy!
The castle is holy!
The Linden and Vink and cemetery are holy!
The Main Castle is holy!
The New Wing is Holy!
The Voorbucht is Holy!
Holy black swan! Holy Dulcia! Holy Karen Lindsey! Holy Robbert! Holy Dojna! Holy Johnny and Rene! Holy Sophie! Holy Dutch children fishing in the moat!
Holy the supernatural extra brilliant intelligent kindness of the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment