August 14, 2009

Zach and Kimya's Infinite Playlist


Hi there,

Long-Distance relationships are hard. Really hard. There are ups and downs and in-betweens, and there are times when you feel like quitting and there are times when one text message from him/her can send your heart flying out of your chest. When you love someone, you leave a trail of yourself around their life and they tend to do the same to you. You infiltrate each other's existances in both fantasic and mundane ways. One of those ways (especially for Zach and me) is music. Is there a better feeling than hearing the first few notes of THAT song on your local radio station and all of a sudden your breathing quickens and memories whiz through your brain and you open your mouth and sing THAT song with all of the conviction and passion that your soul possess? I think not.

For you. "The butter to my bread and the breath to my life..."

10)28 Butts - Little Jackie

A truly fun/funny song with awesome non-sequiter lyrics. With every lyric I think of Zach because it's his type of humor. It's probably the only song on this list that is not a love song, but one that can put you in a good mood instantly. This lyric is SO Zach:
"I think back all the days I was smoking Kerouac/It was really kinda like an addiction/Non-fiction/Just reading my days and nights away."

9)I Thought I Saw Your Face Today - She & Him

Doesn't Zooey Deschanel's voice give everyone warm fuzzies? Probably so. I listened to this song a lot when Zach first told me he had a crush on me, so it reminds me of the early stages of us and walking down Newbury together on those FREEZING Boston nights, when things were still awkward and adorable.
"I somehow see what's beautiful in things that are ephemeral/I'm my only friend of mine/And love is just a piece of time in the world; in the world"

8)Me & Mr. Jones - Amy Winehouse

Mostly this song is awesome because I am dating "Mr. Jones" himself!
It reminds me of the smoky piano bar of my dreams. I think Amy has such a seductive, classic voice....
"Nobody stands in between me and my man/it's me
And Mr Jones (Me and Mr Jones)"


7)City Love - John Mayer

Of course John Mayer had to be on here! I've been a fan since 6th grade, and my love for him has not changed since! This song is about falling in love in a big city (like Boston) and having the whole city atmosphere play a vital part of the romance. We're so blessed to be in Boston and this song reminds me of our city-oriented adventures, a second date at the MFA, eating delicious risotto in the North End, and walking through the gardens. A picturesque background to many, many lovely memories.

"From the battery/To the gallery/It's the kind of thing you only see/
In scented, glossy magazines/And I can't remember life before her name."


6)Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John

One time, I was playing this song and we were kinda goofing around and singing it, and Zach got mad at me because I was singing all of Elton's parts instead of the woman's parts. I hope to one day do this with Zach at a Karaoke bar. Here's hoping...

"So don't misunderstand me/You put the light in my life/You put the sparks to the flame/I've got your heart in my sights"

5)Like A Star - Corinne Bailey Rae

There is no other word better to describe this song, other than exquistie. Her voice is like warm honey and I've had the pleasure of seeing her live. This is a unique love song purely because of her talent. You listen to this song when you realize for the first time that you have fallen, and you have fallen hard. Like an anvil to the head, that's what love feels like.
"Just like a star across my sky/Just like an angel off the page/You have appeared to my life/Feel like I'll never be the same/Just like a song in my heart/Just like oil on my hands."

4)Who'd Have Known - Lily Allen

When Lily played this song at her concert she kind of made fun of it, saying that "isn't it great to be in love for the first six months, until the fights start" or something to that effect...Well, it's still great after the fights start. I played this song once and I think Zach liked it because whenever I played it after that he seemed to remember the lyrics and sort of sing-a-long. I texted him when she sang that song...good memory :)
"I haven't left here for days now/And I'm becoming amazed how/You're quite affectionate in public/In fact, your friend said it made her feel sick/And even though it's moving forward/There's just the right amount of awkward/And today you accidentally/Called me baby."

3)Make You Feel My Love - Adele

Boy, can that Bob Dylan character write a song or what? This song has, like, a zillion covers, but this one is, by far, the most well done and beautiful. Adele's voice is so haunting, one of our first posts on the blog was about how Zach and I saw her in concert. He squeezed my hand when she performed this.
"I could make you happy, make your dreams come true/I know there's nothing that I wouldn't do/Go to the ends of the earth for you/To make you feel my love"


2)Wouldn't it Be Nice - The Beach Boys

A nice, bubbly song about wanting to grow up and be "a real couple." Zach and I talk about the possibility of this often, to be a couple when we have real-people problems instead being confined to the sheltered world of a college student. This song caputres the optimistic side of that kind of relationship before the hardships begin. There are also great memories of dancing to this like fools in my dorm room.
"Happy times together we've been spending/I wish that every kiss was neverending"

1)Time After Time - Magaret Whiting

This song was not on Zach's original playlist, but I had a really strong reaction to it when I first heard it. I asked Zach to listen to it too, of course he asked if "it was an acoustic version of the Cyndi Lauper song." Um, no. This is the song that you close your eyes and hear playing in the background as you two slow dance in the rainy city streets. It's romantic, but not sappy, and when Zach heard it he had a strong reaction too. For me this song remains at number one because it is a true-blue love song for a true-blue love.
"Time after time/you'll hear me say that I'm/so lucky to be loving you"

Don't be afraid of love, embrace it.

-Kimya

No comments:

Post a Comment